Monday, August 3, 2009

mythology update - Artemis, Goddess of selfhood

Artemis holds special significance for me. She helped me overcome a lot of negative imprinting. She is deserving of much respect.


Artemis, Goddess of selfhood

I am who I am
and I know who I am
I can take care of myself
under all circumstances
and I can let others care for me
I can choose
There is no authority
higher than my own
my powers of discernment are finely honed
I am automonous
I am free from the influence
of others' opinions
I am able to separate
that which needs separtation
so a clear decision
can be reached
I think for myself
I set my sights
and aim by bow
my arrows always find their mark

The Mythology

Artemis (pronounced ar'teh-mis), another multidimensional Goddess reduced by the Greeks to the domain of moon, virgin, huntress, and childbirth, really represented the Feminine in all her aspects. She was the huntress who protected animals and the virgin (whole and complete unto herself) who made love in the woods. When Artemis was a little girl, Zeus, her father, wanted to give her a gift and asked her what she wanted. The Goddess replied: I want to run forever wild and free with my hounds in the woods and never, ever marry.

The Lessons of this Goddess

Artemis has shot her arrow of selfhood in your life to help you focus on yourself. Have you been too much at the sevice of others without making sure you get what you need for yourself? Has it been too long since you had time to yourself or a space of your own? Do the boundaries of your selfhood seen blurred and indistint? Do you feel you have no right to a self of your own, but must always be thinking of others, putting their needs first, until you don't know who you are or what you want? Now is the time to come into yourself. Now is the time to pay attention to the whispering voices of your own needs. Now is the time to take yourself back and celebrate and strenghten who you are. The Goddess says that wholeness is nurtured when you honor, respect, and give time to yourself. She also asks how can you expect to hit any targets if you don't have self from which to shoot?

provided by http://www.angelfire.com/va/goddesses/arte.html

No comments:

Post a Comment